Update: The vacancy has been filled already.
epicenter.works defends civil liberties in the digital age, and is committed to a free and open internet. Our main goal is to uphold the fundamental rights to privacy and freedom of speech in the internet. All of our work is closely tied to the legislative process in the European Union and several member states. In our work, we combine detailed policy analysis with public campaigning and strategic litigation, which is consequently informed by the details of every dossier we work on, but also aims to inform and engage the general public in the political debate. We organised campaigns for net neutrality protections, against government spyware, against data retention and most recently against upload filters.
After following the EU copyright directive closely from 2016 till 2019, we want to continue our work to protect fundamental rights in the implementation of this directive in national legislation. Therefore, we are looking for a new hire to help in this crucial EU-wide action. The main role will be in collaboration with a wide network of national stakeholders to educate and mobilize citizens and put pressure on national legislators.
- Perfect English spoken and written (native speaker preferred, additional EU languages are advantageous)
- Comfortable with keeping an overview of and coordinating all relevant stakeholders in the 28 EU member states
- Political thinking and strategic action
- Regular travel in Europe expected (around once per month)
- Team player and communicative personality
- Ideally previous experience with digital rights or pan-European campaigns
- Ideally web development skills (HTML, JS, CSS) or experience with graphic design
- Ideally knowledge of the European copyright framework and actors
- Location: Vienna
- The opportunity to make a difference on a key issue of digitalisation
- A highly motivated and international team
- Contact with numerous players in the digital rights arena in Europe and beyond
- Space for creativity
Other tasks of this role include:
- Public Speaking on stage and in the media
- Engaging with national stakeholders to foster their engagement in this dossier
- Supporting our communications team (social media, website/blog, newsletter and press)
- Connecting with volunteers in your daily work